Sunday, June 25, 2006

Badcaul or Bad Call?

I have already messed up these socks, and pretty much decided not to fix it. Here's why.

badcaul in progress

First, the errors! Or just non-conformity in my knitting.
The pattern says just to slip stitches but not knitwise or purlwise, so I was slipping knitwise. I didn't like the way it looked so then I tried not slipping at all, and then finally settled on slipping purlwise with the yarn in the back. It makes a difference, and I am happy with slipping purlwise, but then I had to decide whether or not to rip yet again or just go with it.

And OH MY! Look how skinny it is! I put the quarter there for reference. Yes, it is a most skinny sock for my most wide foot.


But it does fit, and it's comfy, so I am not so worried about that anymore. And really, the minute changes I made in slipping/not-slipping don't show up that much. So... not ripping. Hopefully I'll get to the heel today, if not past it.

They aren't perfect, but I think it'll be OK.

And to Susan from the Eastern Shore, feel free to comment all you like, it's not an intrusion. As someone who blogs, I have to realize that I am putting myself, or my craft at the very least, out there and that the public has access to it. As long as the comments aren't unduly snarky or hateful for no reason, I don't have a problem with them, nor with responding to them. :)

5 comments:

sheep#100 said...

You could do the same slip and not slip on the other sock - then no one would ever know the difference - well, except for those of use who read this post, of course.

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

I totally agree with Cindy. If you duplicate the same slips on the other sock, they would match. Also, I would rather have the sock initially snug since it will have some stretch in the long run. Great looking pattern! And btw, I'll be driving through the Eastern Shore to get on home to VA Beach for (another) Christening and Daddy's birthday. If you see a car with a hand waving "Hello" in the air at the water, that's me. :)
=:8

Carol said...

I think the socks look just peachy! Keep going...

Stacey said...

I'd keep going - it isnt that obvious and as long as it fits and works for you....

Anonymous said...

Gaaahhhh! I actually let out a little shriek in the office (badbadbadbad, as I'm a librarian and you *know* it's supposed to be quiet in here!) when I read your comment to ME this morning! LOL ;)

So okay, I'll comment and not feel like I'm intruding. And while I'm doing so can I totally say THANK YOU for the info about the little sock bags at Target? I went the day after I read your post & now proudly own two (it was all they had left in stock that afternoon) and oh you bet I'm going back to buy, like, 10 more as soon as I possibly can! Currently an Embossed Leaves sock lives in one, while a "thank god I can knit this without having to check a chart for every row" sock lives in another. YIPEE!!!!!