Monday, May 08, 2006

Tagging (aka bad knitters)

Today on the craftster forums, I stumbled across some chick "tagging" things with her knitting and taking pictures of it. She was leaving a Knittaplease tag on it as well. Now she had no affiliation with this group, she's just using their name on the tags, instead of hers, and encouraging others to do the same.

Now, I admit it's a cool concept, but that's all it is. Going on forums everywhere and encouraging other like minded teenish types to do out and do things that can potentially damage OPS (other people's shit) is not a good thing. In fact, I'd call it vandelism. Sure, it's not paint, it can be taken off without lots of scrubbing, but it's OPS. And the potential for damage is there. Especially since a lot of the targets are car antennas. Things that are easily broken and cost lots of money to replace just aren't the way to go. And I don't think this is encouraging others to knit. I'd say it's exactly the opposite, but there are young (and dare I say foolish?) teens who think this is hilarious. They justify it because it's their way of trying to share their knitting with others, and it doesn't hurt anything and yada, yada, yada.

To these people, I say this:

You aren't doing this to things you own. You are doing it to things owned by other people or the public. Stop it. If you want to share your knitting with others, go to a kid's center, or a senior center, or a community center, and teach other people how to knit. Knit hats for the Dulaan project. Knit items for the homeless. Knit items for the women's shelters. Teach knitting at women's shelters. Just get out and make a difference in someone's life instead of being a vandal and thinking how cool and punk rock you are. Because you're not.

And most importantly, stop messing with OPS.

The Flower Basket shawl pics will be up sometime later tonight or in the morning, as I am going to try and coax one of my knitting buddies into modeling it for me while I take the picture.

No comments: