On to the shrug! I have changed plans. I am not doing 12 inches of ribbing. I am doing 8. This is not because I am totally sick of ribbing and I don't want to order more of the darker blue yarn. While both of those things are true, I would have persevered. Truth is I got worried. I think that 12 inches of ribbing will somehow screw with the way the shrug is supposed to go together. And I didn't want a really big collar either, which the ribbing seems to totally become at the neck. So I stopped at 8.
Then I began my feather and fan in the light blue. I was very doubtful about this once I actually started it. I was worried about it looking like crap. I thought, "oh noes! I am going to have to rip it all out in it's entirety and just make something else!!!" But now, taking a couple of pics and looking at it from a distance, I think it just might be ok.
And here's a close up.
Also, for those of you who have made the shrug or are in the process I made some other mods as well. I didn't add 4 inches to my shoulder measurement. I only added two. I did this because I want to add sleeves. Also I didn't k2tog p2tog for a row. I just k2tog. Since I wasn't doing the mock rib, I was able to make my decrease row also serve as my first pattern row, so that's what I did.
I don't think I will make huge amounts of progress today as I am packing some stuff up and helping my aunt do some things, but one can always hope!