Friday, October 28, 2005

Tag! I'm it. Meme.

Eunny tagged me! When I grow up (as a knitter), I want to be just like Eunny.
As a fairly newb knitter, my scope is a bit limited, and thus, my answers will be also. It will be interesting for me to come back a year from now and look at these answers and see if/how much they have changed.

What is your all time favorite yarn to knit with?
So far, besides really cheap acrylic, I have used some handspun, Knit Picks Wool of the Andes, Brown Sheep Co. Prairie Silks, and some random stuff from a yarn store that I have no idea what it is but it alternates bulky and thin, almost Lopi style. Oh! Lopi! I am using some for that Jayne hat I am making next month. So far my favorite has been the Prairie Silk. I know that Noro (of any kind most likely) will certainly be a favorite one day. I just have to try it.

Your favorite needles?
I have acquired a rather modest range of needles. I have some boyle's and susan bates, I think all beginning knitters do. I don't really like them much, but I like Susan Bates better than boyle. I have some quicksilvers, both circs and dpns, and they are ok. I have a pair of Britanny Birch needles and I like them, a little more than I like my bamboo needles. Mostly I really like my Addi Turbo circs and my Lion Brand plastic dpns. They Addi's for their smoothness and the cable that is ever so fabulous, and the lion dpns for their flex and give that doesn't stress my hands as much.

The worst thing you've ever knit?
Well I am still a beginner so, my early swatches still come to mind. The problem with knowing what good fiber work should look like means that when you start a new one, you know exactly how crappy your efforts are. Give me time and I am sure I will hate something else more.

Your most favorite knit pattern? (maybe you don't like wearing it...but it was the most fun to knit)
Right now I really like the SNBN cabled hat. I feel good when I finish one. It looks like it's supposed to, and if my head were not shaped like a melon I would surely wear one myself. Instead I will just keep making them for other people.

Most valuable knitting technique?
So far the coolest thing has been the way you can splice and semi felt wool skein ends together so you don't have to have loose ends, and then you don't have to weave them in. That's pretty neat. Yay wool!

Best knit book or magazine?
So far, The Knitter's Bible. I am a book person and as nifty as it is to find things online, I like the tangible feel of a book. I also like that this covers most of the basics I need to do things.

Your favorite knit-a-long?
My ONLY kal so far has been the Mystery Shawl 2 KAL. It was my first lace knitting, and I did it with cheap red heart acrylic. I got midway thru clue 2 before I took it off the needles because I needed them to start my craftster shrug. I plan on restarting it with the lace weight Shadow from Knitpicks in Lost lake some time after I move.

Your favorite knitblogs?
Well, See Eunny Knit of course. I paste the link to her blog to shmoo so much he has come to expect it. I also like to read Whispering Pine, Marnie MacLean, and Fig and Plum. I read others but not regularly. Mostly I just click links to the blogs that come up in the commentary of these main blogs and if I like it, I try to add it to my links here so that I can find it later.

Your favorite knitwear designer?
I really like a lot of the things Teva Durham designs. Unfortunately, she knits for skinny people. Or at least for non-short, non-fat, non-big-boobed people. I am ok with this. It just means I won't knit her designs.

The knit item you wear the most?
(how about a picture of it!)Well.. I wear nothing I have knit.. yet! I am sure I will wear my craftster shrug a lot, and when I make socks, (especially those Geisha ones, so I can wear my flip-flops year round! year round I say! Ok maybe just in the house but... YEAR ROUND!) I will wear those too. Mostly I just make stuff for other people.

I have no idea whom to tag with this next. If you wish to be tagged, please do let me know!

No comments: