Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Decision Time.

I have been offered the job I applied for. They have offered me everything I asked for. But.... I am still unsure about accepting. I said I would call with my response in the morning.

I have reservations about accepting. I feel like they have more issues than they are telling me about, and want me to come in and wave my magic wand and solve them all. And I can't. And I was very honest with them today when they asked about more advanced things. I haven't even seen the software they are using yet, told them I am entirely unfamiliar with it, and they still wanted me to promise them the moon. I didn't.

And at one point, their consultant tech guy absolutely pissed me off. He wanted me to answer questions he didn't know how to ask. I think he is snowing them about how much he knows about things and didn't want to get busted. He brought me a page of supposedly raw EDI, but it wasn't and I said so. And then he was asking about the segments, and I told him the ones I remembered off the top of my head. And when he asked what kind of document it was, I immediately told him the number and official name for it right off, and then he said ok that was all. Then the guy trying to hire me had to go to meet with him and some of the other Executive committee suits to discuss whether or not they wanted to offer me the job.... again.

I was furious. I made it clear what I could and could not do. I don't lie. I won't make promises about software I haven't seen and a job description you can't be clear on. Furthermore, it was all I could do not to bust the guy's networking skills in front of everyone once he pissed me off. I just smiled, and played nice until I got out of there, but now I have a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing.

And part of me says, "screw it, take the job, if it doesn't work out, leave." And the other part says, "they want more than they are telling you. What they want should cost them at least 50k, minimum, to start, and that's not you."

And I am supposed to decide this by in the morning? I think I will have to call and postpone another day or so because at this moment, I just don't know.

5 comments:

Amie said...

Hang in there and follow your gut. It won't lead you astray.

We're here if you need us, and we won't even rudely insult your knitting style *snicker*

PuppyMomma said...

Hey babe, there's nothing wrong with telling them that you want more money to do this job. Put it back in their corner. There's other jobs out there, you'll find the one that feels right. And, like Amie said, we won't even insult your knitting style no matter what you choose. The sucky knitters are with you all the way.

And I bet that if it came down to it, we could at least take up a yarn collection for you.

MrsIrB said...

Hmm... If I were to accept the job, I would make sure that it comes with a 30 day trial period up front. If it turns out that things are fine, you can go ahead and stay. If not, you let them know, work out the rest of the trial while they search again, and then leave.

Lolly said...

I hate to see you having so many conflicts with the company before even taking the job - and if the tech guy was pissing you off, that is not a good sign. Wouldn't you have to work with him in the future if you took the job?

I wish you luck, girl.

PuppyMomma said...

I wear a 7 1/2 to 8 shoe, knitting fairy.