Friday, February 03, 2006

Odessa.


Mr. Woolly modeling the hat out on the patio while it's drying.


Pattern: Odessa, by Grumperina, from Magknits.
Yarn: Rowan Felted Tweed, Shade 142, Melody.
Yardage: Less than 1 ball (I used 29 of 50 grams, so just over a half really)
Needles: Addi US 4 circs, Lion Brand US 6 plastic dpns
Modifications: Besides the yarn switch, I didn't do the beads. I have nothing against the beads, but I really wanted to do this hat in the Felted Tweed, and felt it had enough texture on it's own and the beads would make it too busy.

Thoughts:
I really like this pattern. I am sure I will do it again. Perhaps even using beads. Just like I found with the Jaywalker pattern, it's a simple repeat that has a great visual effect. I can see this hat made with all sorts of yarns. Calmer, Silk Garden, Random Cotton for summer time, and even Acrylic for a quick cheapie when things are tight.

As for the Felted Tweed. I liked it too. I don't think I will seek out projects in it because of it's price, but for something like this hat, it was lovely. It was fine to work with, and has a lovely texture when knitted up, and I am all about the textures. I almost have enough left over to make another hat from it, but not quite. This was the first Rowan yarn I have used, and it encourages me to try more, as long as the projects are small.

My bits and bobs after completing the hat.

A side view of the left-over ball.

The hat laid flat once the ends were all woven and tucked away.

A view of the crown and it's spiral.

A closer view of the crown (with better lighting).

I really think it's a lovely hat. Sadly, I don't look so good in the close fitting hats. I feel like a melon-head when I wear them, so this is going to be put away for gifting to some worthy person.

No comments: