Friday, November 04, 2005

Error Corrections.

One of the things I really like about knitting, as opposed to crochet, is that if I find a mistake 3 rows back, I can wait til I can drop back down and fix it. As a general safegaurd I take safety pins and place them in the stitches below the ones I am correcting so I don't drop the stitches down too far, and then I just pull them out. Poof! Then I get an appropriate sized crochet hook and fix it. I can't do cables so well yet, but I have some ideas on them next time it happens. And I just did a correction in my feather and fan that isn't perfect, but it was on the actual pattern row, so I am still pretty impressed with myself. I like that I don't have to frog all the way back to a mistake a lot. In crochet, I generally say, "screw it, it's handmade, that's just proof" and go on.

I picked up stitches for the first time while doing the flaps on the Jayne hat. And while I don't know how a good, experienced knitter does them, I know how I did them and it made sense to me. I used my crochet hook and picked them up. Zoom zoom! When I had more stitches than I was comfy with I slipped them off the back onto my knitting needle and then picked up more and slid off as needed. When I got to the end, I just put them over to the knitting needle, poof! Done. I am sure that this method is wrong for some reason, but it worked for me. I plan on using it again when I need to pick up stitches for something else.

I only got two more pattern repeats done on my feather and fanning so I didn't bother to take a picture. Alas, you are left alone with only my thoughts today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, people who knit and read Something Positive. You're my Tuesday night hero.
^_^